1½ cups water
1½ cups organic chicken broth (read the label and make sure it doesn’t include cane sugar—I can’t believe I have to warn you that some chicken broth has added sugar!!)
1 cup uncooked Wehani rice
½ cup uncooked Forbidden rice
2 Tbs olive oil or butter
3 cups diced onions
3 cups diced celery
1 Tbs water
1¾ cups currants
2 cup fresh cranberries
½ cup dried, unsweetened apricots
1 cup diced, unpeeled apples
½ cup chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
2 Tbs dried sage
1 Tbs rosemary
1 Tbs thyme
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp pepper
- Soak the rice overnight in filtered water. In the morning, drain and rinse the rice and let it sit, covered, on the counter until you are ready to start cooking.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring 1½ cups water and the chicken broth to a boil. Stir in rices. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
- Stir currants, cranberries, apricots, and apples into the rice and cook another 10 minutes or until done.
- In the skillet melt the butter or add olive oil and 1 tablespoon water, sauté onions and celery over low-medium heat. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the onion mixture into the rice mixture. Mix in the Italian parsley and other seasonings.
- Stuff into poultry cavity and bake following recommended time guidelines for the size and type of bird or vegetable that you are using.