2½ cups of almond flour
½ teaspoon of sea salt
½ teaspoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon lemon zest (zest is the grated rind, can use dried peel found in the spice section)
1 teaspoon orange zest
⅓ cup of olive oil or softened butter
¼ cup of Maple syrup
2 large eggs
½ cup dried cranberries (sweetened with apple juice NOT cane sugar)
½ cup dried blueberries (blueberries are naturally sweet—unsweetened is available at Bob’s Red Mill)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the almond flour, salt, baking soda, lemon zest and orange zest in a mixing bowl.
3. Make a “well” in the middle of the dry ingredients and add the oil, the syrup and the eggs. Mix the wet ingredients together and then fold in the surrounding dry ingredients until thoroughly combined.
4. Fold in the dried fruit.
5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drop about a ½ cup of the dough onto the baking sheet about two inches apart from each other—you should have about 6 scones.
6. Bake about 15-20 minutes until golden brown, or a toothpick inserted into the center of the scone comes out clean.
7. Let the scones cool for about 30 minutes then serve.
Use 1 cup of unsweetened cacao nibs instead of the berries.
These are pretty incredible and very simple! Enjoy.