Makes 6 cups
2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin rounds
4 cinnamon sticks
2 teaspoons black peppercorns
10 whole cloves
6 cardamom pods (½ teaspoon of whole cardamom)
2 cups cold water
6 bags of black tea (Darjeeling is best)
2 cups coconut milk
¼ cup real Maple syrup
1. Combine spices and water in a medium saucepan.
2. Using mallet or back of large spoon, lightly crush or bruise spices.
3. Add water and bring to a boil over high heat.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer gently 10 minutes.
5. Remove from heat, add tea bags and steep 5 minutes.
6. Discard tea bags and strain liquid through a wire mesh or cheesecloth into another medium saucepan.
7. Add milks and syrup.
8. Bring Chai to simmer over high heat, serve hot.